OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The Hood College women’s basketball fell short in a hard-fought conference road game at Stevenson 72-64.
Inside the Box Score
- Lele Wright (Wilmington, Del./Howard) led the Blazers in scoring with 22 points, adding five rebounds.
- Marlise Newson’s (Carlisle, Pa./Carlisle) 16-point evening included four steals.
- Tiffany Manning (Randallstown, Md./Western Tech) and Nyla Laniyonu (Lawrenceville, Ga./Arundel (Md.)) each finished the game with seven rebounds.
How it Happened
- Hood was down 60-48 with 3:30 to play, but Snoop Robinson (Atlanta, Ga./Holderness) hit a 3-pointer and back-to-back scores by Wright brought the Blazers within five, 60-55, with 2:07 left.
- The Mustangs put the game away with free throws and defense mounting a 6-0 run that was completed by two at the line by Maleah Smith with 38 seconds left for 66-55 lead.
- In the first period, Stevenson started hot with a 12-4 run, which lasted for the first three minutes of the game.
- Manning made a 3-pointer right before the buzzer, as the Blazers outscored Stevenson 13-6 through the final 6:57 to pull within 18-17.
- Hood grabbed its first lead of the game, 22-20, on a Philippa Clouse (Olney, Md./Sandy Spring Friends) lay-up at the 7:36 mark in the second period.
- Laci Johnson led the Mustangs on a 9-0 run, accounting for five points, to give Stevenson a 29-20 lead with 5:06 left.
- Hood answered with five points by Newson in a 7-2 run to send the Blazersdown 31-29.
- The Blazers opened the third period by scoring the first five points andNewson’s 3-pointer put Hood back up 34-31 with 8:27 on the clock.
- Stevenson fought back to grab a 41-38 lead and took control soon after going on a 11-3 run, giving the Mustangs a 10-point lead heading into the fourth.
- The Blazers held the field goal percentage advantage 44 percent to the Mustangs’ 31 percent.
- Stevenson outrebounded Hood 48-39.
- Stevenson held the edge in bench points 16-5.
- The Mustangs went 23-for-31 (74 percent) from the free throw line, as Hood struggled and went 11-for-23 (47 percent).
For the Opponent
- Emori Johnson led the Mustangs with 21 points, adding six rebounds, five assists and two steals.
- Johnson ended the evening with 22 points, shooting 7-for-16 from the field, including…