OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Behind 30 points by Michael Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum School), his most in a Hood College uniform, the Blazers defeated Stevenson 76-64 on the road in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Wallace, making just his second start of the season, hit 9-for-17 shots, including 3-for-4 from 3-point range. He added a 9-of-11 performance at the free throw line to go along with four rebounds and three assists.
- Soren Almquist (Oakton, Va./James Madison) came off the bench for 11 points, powered by a 7-for-8 effort at the foul line.
- Garrison Linton (New Market, Md./Oakdale) led Hood with both eight rebounds and seven assists.
How it Happened
- The Blazers trailed early before an 11-3 run, in which Wallace and Almquist accounted for every point, put Hood ahead 17-11 with 12:50 remaining in the period.
- The Mustangs answered back with a 13-3 run as the Blazers went cold, with only a Christopher Smalls (Washington, D.C./St. Andrew’s Episcopal) 3-pointer over a span of over four minutes. The result was a 24-20 Stevenson lead after a Davon Jones layup with 7:40 left in the half.
- The last seven minutes of the half belonged to Hood. The Blazers closed the half with a 20-4 surge, holding the Mustangs to 1-for-10 shooting with five turnovers. Seven different players scored for Hood in the run to build a 40-28 halftime lead after 3-point field goal by Will Pataki (Stafford, Va./Mountain View) in the closing seconds.
- In the second half, Stevenson pulled within 10 on a Cameron Sapienza 3-pointer with 12:32 to go to make it 50-40.
- Wallace matched the Mustangs’ seven points over the next six minutes to spearhead a 17-7 run. Hood hit 6-for-7 field goals in the stretch, extending the lead to 67-47 on a driving layup by Wallace with 5:27 on the clock.
- Stevenson chipped away at the lead down the stretch, but the Blazers were content to run clock as time worked in their favor.
- Hood held Stevenson to 33 percent shooting and 23 turnovers.
- The Blazers shot 40 percent and turned it over just 12 times.
- With Wallace getting to the rim early and often, Hood outscored the Mustangs 30-12 in the paint.
- Stevenson held the rebounding advantage 48-35.
For the Opponent
- Cameron Smith and Ethan Jones…