Score: UMass 87, UAlbany 73
Location: Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.
Records: UAlbany (3-7, 0-0 America East) | UMass (7-1, 0-0 A-10)
Short Story: The University at Albany men’s basketball team fell to UMass on Monday night, 87-73. The Great Danes struggled in the first half, committing 10 turnovers and shooting just 25% from the field. The second half was a different story, with UAlbany shooting above 50% and outscoring UMass 52-41. Gerald Drumgoole Jr. led all players with 20 points.
Head Coach Dwayne Killings: “I didn’t think we quit today. That was a really good UMass basketball team, they are off to one of their best starts in probably eight years… I thought we came out with a lot of pop. I thought we were focused, executed out game plan and a little later in the game thewy [UMass] made the game hard… We’re playing a hard schedule for a reason, and I think it’s going to prepare us for league play.”
Key Stat Lines
- The Great Danes rolled out a new starting lineup against the Minutemen. Starting for UAlbany was Gerald Drumgoole Jr., Tairi Ketner, Will Amica, Sarju Patel, and Trey Hutcheson.
- Gerald Drumgoole Jr. led all scorers with 20 points. He went 6-14 from the field and 6-13 from beyond the arc. He led the team with five assists and 33 minutes played, while also collecting six rebounds.
- Jonathan Beagle led the team in rebounds with eight. The freshman finished with 11 points, going 5-7 from the charity stripe.
- Trey Hutcheson and Malik Edmead both finished with nine points each.
- UAlbany shot 39.7% (25-63)…