CANCUN, Mexico – NC State women’s basketball (4-1) will play games on back-to-back days as part of the 2022 Cancun Challenge, taking on Vanderbilt (5-1) at 4 p.m. on Thursday and West Virginia (3-0) at 4 p.m. on Friday.
Both games will be played at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in the convention center ballroom that has been converted into an arena. Fans can stream the games on FloHoops with a subscription, and radio broadcaster Andrew Sanders will also have the call on WKNC 88.1 FM (Raleigh) and on the Varsity app.
NOTING THE WOLFPACK (4-1)
• The Wolfpack ranks in the top 30 nationally in rebound margin (4th – +19.4), rebounds per game (21st – 47.4), scoring margin (21st – +29.0) and scoring offense (27th – 84.4).
• Diamond Johnson leads the team in scoring (12.6), steals (1.8) and assists (3.6). Her assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.50 is among the best in the country (1st in ACC, 14th nationally) as she has dished out 18 assists with just four turnovers in the Pack’s first five games.
• Three Wolfpack players average 10+ points – Johnson (12.6), Madison Hayes (11.2) and Jada Boyd (11.0). All three of those players also average over four rebounds per game and are shooting 40+ percent from the field.
• NC State checked in at No. 13 in Monday’s release of the AP Top 25, falling outside of the Top 10 for the first time since Dec. 9, 2019.
SERIES HISTORY VS. VANDY (NC State leads 5-2)
• Thursday marks the eighth overall meeting between NC State and Vanderbilt.
• The Wolfpack is on a three-game winning streak in the series between the teams.
• NC State last took on Vandy at home on Nov. 15, 2018 during non-conference play that season. The Wolfpack earned a 20-point victory over the Commodores in what rounded out a home-and-home series between the squads.
• Vanderbilt has not beat NC State since Nov. 28, 2009.
• NC State and Vanderbilt have faced each other just once in neutral territory, with that matchup marking their first in February of 1996. That game was played in Charlotte.
SERIES HISTORY VS. WVU
This is the first all-time meeting between NC State and West Virginia.
Sunday’s 91-69 setback at fifth-ranked UConn marked the Pack’s only time losing by double figures in regulation since the 2018-19 season. The Wolfpack…