UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State women’s basketball team is back on the road on Wednesday, February 9 when it visits Purdue for a Big Ten matchup. The contest is set for 7 p.m. at Mackey Arena with a broadcast on B1G+.
The Lady Lions, led by head coach Carolyn Kieger, are 9-13 overall and 3-9 in Big Ten play. Penn State looks to bounce back after falling 78-72 against Northwestern in a back-and-forth game on Sunday.
- Penn State travels to Purdue on Wednesday for a Big Ten matchup.
- The Lady Lions trail 33-22 in the all-time series, but won the last meeting, 80-70, at Purdue on January 31, 2021.
- Penn State looks to bounce back after falling 78-72 in a back-and-forth contest against Northwestern last Sunday.
- Makenna Marisa led Penn State with 25 points.
- Marisa has recorded 14 games with 20+ points and 10 with 25+ points this season.
- The junior ranks seventh in the nation averaging 22.4 points per game.
- Last Saturday, Marisa was named to the Dawn Staley Award Watch List.
- After posting 15 points against Northwestern, Leilani Kapinus has scored at least 10 points in 10-straight games, the longest streak by a PSU freshman since Maggie Lucas (11 games) in 2010-11.
- Against Northwestern, the Lady Lions recorded 10 steals, marking the 10th time this year reaching double-digit steals.
- Penn State is one of seven Division I teams with three players recording 37 or more steals this year.
- Purdue is led by head coach Katie Gearlds, who graduated from the school in 2007.
- Gearlds is in her first season at Purdue and has led the Boilermakers to a 13-10 mark.
- Gearlds was promoted to head coach on September 16, 2021 after serving as associate head coach since March 26, 2021.
- She is the youngest Power Five head coach this season.
- Purdue ranks ninth in the Big Ten in scoring offense (70.2 ppg) and 10th in scoring defense (68.3).
- The Boilermakers sit second in the Big Ten in three-point field goal percentage defense (27.6) and, offensively, third in three-pointers made (185).
- Madison Layden leads three Boilermakers averaging double-figures with 12 ppg. Abbey Ellis (11.0) and Brooke Moore (10.3) are also averaging double-figures.
- Cassidy Hardin sits third in the Big Ten, 10th in the nation, with 60 three-pointers made this…